New Skills for a Rapidly Changing Healthcare System
The technical skills used by providers to help patients are not enough to optimize clinical results. Even a perfectly executed procedure could fail to provide a great outcome if the patient is not fully involved in the treatment plan.
How can you prepare patients for the best possible outcome? What are the key attributes to a great outcome? What language works best for which kind of patients? How can you establish a therapeutic alliance to optimize the treatment effect?
Engaging patients in a way to optimize outcomes requires more than just communication skills. It requires a new set of skills that increases awareness of both the patient and provider to reach the desired result.
- State management and calibration
- Patient’s rapport with the provider and the patient
- Interpreting verbal and non-verbal cues in the engagement process
- Precision language to elicit specific behaviors
- Treatment planning with a Therapeutic Alliance to optimize outcomes